Thursday, February 8, 2007

Nostalgia

I am not sure if it is the cold weather that is bringing on the "remember whens" but I have a couple that I will never forget.

The Year ~ mid 90s
The Scene ~ my Big Mama's House for Sunday Lunch ~ her kitchen table to be exact

My Big Mama was famous for her chicken and dumplings, I dream about them to this day. I have never, ever in all of my 26 years tasted chicken and dumplings that were as good as hers. She added something, that no one can repeat, even though my oldest sister has the recipe, she can not recreate Big Mama's best dish.

So a couple of things you should know, I am not, nor have I ever been a picky eater, unless it tastes like soap or something terribly inedible, I do not complain. So here goes.....

I was probably 14 or 15, and I had just finished eating a plate of chicken and dumplings and other "southern" food, you can imagine my surprise when Big Mama announced after everyone had eaten mind you, that those squirrel dumplings were good, and then went into detail about how the neighbor had killed a squirrel and "dressed" it for her. She liked to shock people like that. She was kind of funny in her own unique way. She was hard of hearing unless you were whispering, then she heard every syllable.

No comments: